Postdoctoral Fellow in Signalling and Cell Cycle (ref. PD/21/23)
- Centre / Institution:
- Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona)
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biomedical Informatics
Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence-a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people's quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer's, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the "Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya" (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to join the Signalling and Cell Cycle Laboratory led by Dr. Angel R. Nebreda.
The candidate will investigate the contribution of tumor stromal cells to the chemotherapy response, focusing on stress kinase pathways. The contract will be financed by the project: "Elucidation of tumor vulnerabilities to improve cancer therapy: p38a signaling in chemotherapy response" (PID2019-109521RB-I00 / AEI / 10.13039/501100011033).
- Investigate research questions and develop specific research project(s) under guidance from Group Leader
- Implement established protocols and develop new protocols
- Produce high quality data to be included in research papers for publication
- Provide specialist advice and guidance, sharing knowledge and expertise for the benefit of others in the group
- Present findings to group members and other audiences
Desired skills and expertise
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have - Required
- PhD degree in a Biomedical Science
- Strong background in biochemistry and cell and molecular biology techniques. Experience in mouse models of cancer will be highly valued.
- Enthusiasm for science and capacity to work with minimal supervision and to drive a scientific project to conclusion.
- Pro-active in innovation and problem solving
- Ability to work in a team including willingness to share knowledge and expertise
- Fluent in English with excellent communication and writing skills.
- At least one scientific publication as first author
- Good track record of publications in molecular oncology
- Experience of data presentation at scientific meetings
- Potential to guide PhD students in their research
Contract duration and other benefits
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute's advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
Required information and contact
Applications for the above opening should include a cover letter summarizing research interests and goals, full CV and the names and addresses of two references and should apply on https://recruitment.irbbarcelona.org/ with the Reference: PD/21/23
- Deadline for applications: 15/12/2021
If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended.
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, experience and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
For more information please visit our website at: www.irbbarcelona.org