Research Engineer Text Mining (RE2)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
Context And Mission
The post holder will work in the Text Mining group in the Life Science Department and will participate in the process of finding, designing and developing AI solutions to challenges related to the research projects the group is working on.
The Researcher will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to state-of-the-art systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas both at the local and international levels.
The researcher will implement in the HPC environment innovative techniques for language modelling and evaluation.
Work, in collaboration with the members of the group, on the design and development of the solutions needed to achieve the goals of the group's research projects.
Interact with relevant stakeholders of the group's research projects in order to understand their problems and the available data in order to formulate useful solutions.
Collaborate with the members of the group in the generation and evaluation of language models using Deep Learning techniques (Transformers, Recurrent Neural Networks, other neural network architectures).
Desired skills and expertise
- Degree in Computer Science or Mathematics.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Good knowledge of Python.
- Experience in machine learning techniques applied to NLP.
- Research experience.
- Knowledge of Test-Driven Design and/or Development.
- Knowledge of Deep Learning.
- Knowledge of mathematics and statistics applied to Machine Learning.
- Experience in machine learning and data mining, including knowledge of PyTorch, Tensorflow, Pandas, Scikit-learn and/or Numpy.
- Good knowledge of Linux.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Theoretical broad knowledge of AI techniques.
- Knowledge of HPC workload managers such as Slurm.
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration/Delivery/Deployment, including tools such as (or similar to) GitLab CI, Github, Docker and/or Ansible.
- Experience in optimisation and parallelisation, ideally in HPC clusters.
- Experience in research and in dissemination activities, including paper writing.
- Basic Knowledge of GPU-based computing.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Capacity to explore new research lines.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work within a team and within a pair (pair programming).
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: January 2022
Required information and contact
- A full CV in English including contact details
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a gender-balanced recruitment panel is formed for every vacancy at the beginning of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the panel will start the interviews, with at least one technical and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
The panel will make a final decision and all candidates who had contacts with them will receive a feedback with details on the acceptance of rejection of their profile.