Django / Python Developer
- Centre / Institution:
- Center for Genomic Regulation
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biomedical Informatics
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
We are looking for an experienced Django developer to develop existing and new web applications.
The main responsibilities of the candidate will be further developing existing Django based web applications and designing and developing new applications for use by the institute. As well as web applications, the role would involve utilising generic python skills for non-web based scripts, tools and applications for use by the IT department the wider institute.
About the department
The IT Department is responsible for providing IT services to over 500 users in two different locations (Barcelona Biomedical Research Park -PRBB and Barcelona Scientific Park -PCB). There are currently 8 team members under the management of the Head of IT.
Desired skills and expertise
- You can demonstrate the ability to develop Django based web applications from scratch
- You have a high level of skill in python programming
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
- You have in-depth knowledge of the end-to-end web stack including low-level protocol, web sockets and ssl-encryption comprehension
- You have experience with front-end technologies such as the react, angular or vue.js frameworks
- You have experience with source-code-control systems (e.g. git)
- You have expertise with SQL: as well as writing select statements, the ability to design appropriate schemas, indexes and stored procedures, ideally for open source databases.
- You have experience with other Web Frameworks e.g. Node.JS
- You have programming expertise in other languages e.g. C/C++, Java, Go, Rust
- You have a high level of knowledge of the Linux Operating System
- You have the ability to prepare all necessary infrastructure for web applications
- You have use of configuration management and provisioning tools such as ansible, puppet or terraform
- You have experience on developing cloud native applications including use of kubernetes
- You have experience working in international environments
Education and training
- You hold a Bachelors degree in a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
- You are proficient in English
- You have basic familiarity with statistics and data visualization
- You are proactive and results-oriented
- You have strong communication written and verbal skills and the ability to interact with a diverse audience.
- You have the ability to work to tight deadlines and making decisions
- You have the ability to work independently as well as being a team player.
- You can work collaboratively under standard and established procedures.
- You are able to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external colleagues at all levels.
- You have strong problem solving skills and critical thinking
Contract duration and other benefits
- Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: As soon as possible.
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Mr. Emyr James.
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Mr. Emyr James and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - https://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVs. It will be merit-based.
- Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
- Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by January 8th, 2022.