Data Engineer - Research (RE2)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biostatistics
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 500 staff from 44 countries.
Look at the BSC experience:
BSC-CNS YouTube Channel
BSC-CNS Corporate Video
Let's stay connected with BSC Folks!
Context And Mission
ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-european organization founded in 2014, which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 20 countries, engages with other strategic european initiatives and projects e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat, EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape.
Spain is member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the INB as the Spanish national node. INB is a technological platform of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII) and is coordinated by the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC). Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics infrastructure offered by Spain, and therefore, should guarantee its alignment to the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR as well as to increase the translational impact of INB groups into the Spanish National Health System (Sistema Nacional de Salud).
- Contribute to the activities related to the participation into ELIXIR.
- Contribute to adopt FAIR Data principles across existing and future projects.
- Contribute to build up and maintain a data catalogue for the department.
- Monitor data protection obligations.
- Design and enforce procedures for adequate data validity, protection and security.
- Participate actively into internal and external forums on how to better manage research data.
- Contribute to supervise junior members at the INB/ELIXIR-ES Coordination unit.
- Work together with other developers at INB/ELIXIR-ES and other ELIXIR nodes to ensure the appropriate implementation of previously agreed standards and methodologies.
Desired skills and expertise
- Software engineering and/or bioinformatics related degrees.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience on the use of software repositories such as GitHub, BitBucket and/or GitLab.
- At least 2 years of professional experience on management of research data.
- At least 1 year of professional experience designing and/or implementing user interfaces.
- At least 1 year of professional experience with software containers technologies such as Dockers and/or Singularity.
- At least 1 year of professional experience with at least 2 programming languages such as Python, Perl, C++ and/or Java.
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Familiar with data handling of massive amounts of biological data.
- Familiar with Biological and/or Medical Ontologies.
- Familiar with high-performance file system solutions.
- Fluency in English. Writing and spoken.
- Strong personal soft-skills sets: Communicative, enthusiastic, highly collaborative, proactive, self-driven.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines.
- Large experience working with Unix/Linux systems.
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: ASAP
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter with a statement of interest, including two contacts for further references - COMPULSORY - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.