Round Table: A golden science: Bioinformatics. What is it and what can it provide us?
The event is organised by The Association of Biotechnologists of Catalonia (ABSTEC) and Bionformatics Barcelona (BIB).
- Day: Thursday, 18th June 2020
- Hour: 19:00 h
- Place: Live Streaming Session
- Language: Catalan/Spanish
The speakers, belonging to several Institutions that are members' BIB, come from different areas of bioinformatics will give an overview of this science with different perspectives.
- Association of Biotechnologists of Catalonia (ASBTEC)
- Bioinformatics Barcelona (BIB)
There will be speakers' participation from the following institutions:
- ESCI-UPF School of International Studies
- Societat Catalana de Biologia SCB
- Centre Nacional d'Anàlisi Genòmica CNAG-CRG
- Made Of Genes, Personalized genomic service company
- AMGEN, Innovative Pharmaceutical biotechnology large company
The discussion will focus on the current state of the sector in Catalonia, as well as in the national and international level, such as:
- What can it bring us, both at the professional level and in society in general?
- What are their focuses of action (omics, etc.)
- What role has computational biology played in the fight against SARS-CoV-2 (protein structure, antibodies, genomics) and in which it can aid in the production of drugs and vaccines.
- How is the day-to-day life of a researcher in Computational Biology or Bioinformatics?
- How do you think it can be useful to understand the bioinformatics processes for staff of laboratories? And the reverse situation.
- What is involved in bioinformatics in consulting and genetic diagnosis?
- How can bioinformatics help in the pharmaceutical industry?
- Possible career opportunities in the world of bioinformatics.
- If someone is a professor of a non-computer degree / master's degree, what advice you would give about bioinformatics skills to students who do not want to work in "wet the B".
Live Streaming Session: ACCESS HERE